I've been reading so many interesting articles about the benefits of walking barefoot lately and I really really wanted to share some information with you!
The benefits of walking barefoot
- Walking barefoot is probably the cheapest way to heal your mind, body and soul at the same time. It has a beneficial effect on blood vessels, joints, skin and even brain, can you believe that?
- There are more than 200 000 nerve endings and important reflex points on the sole of your feet. Each of them corresponds to a particular organ of the body. When a person walks barefoot it’s like all the organs are massaged.
- Walking barefoot requires 100% concentration. You have to look out for sharp rocks, raw edges, broken glass or anything else that could injure your feet. In that case your mind is distracted from any stressful thoughts or information overload. You get away from the bad thoughts or whatever is bugging you at the time.
- Our bodies are made up of about 60 percent water, which is great for conducting electricity. The earth has a negative ionic charge. Going barefoot grounds our bodies to that charge. Negative Ions have been proven to detoxify, calm, reduce inflammation, synchronise your internal clocks, hormonal cycles and physiological rhythms.
- Your feet muscles get stronger, blood circulation better, anxiety and depression decreased and there even is a belief from ancient times that walking barefoot cures insomnia. You’ll never know until you give it a try!
Where to walk barefoot?
Outdoors, of course! Try walking on grass, or in the sand. Wet morning grass vitalizes your body, restores nervous system and helps to start your day fresh, while sand helps to exfoliate the dead skin cells from your heels and makes you loose more calories as walking in it requires even more energy.
Just kick off your shoes whenever you can and recharge yourself. The energy will start flowing and you’ll feel better in no time!
The earthing (grounding)
There is another very interesting thing about walking barefoot or simply touching the ground with your body and therefore gathering Earth's energy. It is called the earthing (or grounding). It is the flow of the Earth’s electric energy connecting to your physical body, which has been scientifically proven to promote healing and create a deep sense of well-being within us.
Your Personal Earthing Meditation
- Take advantage of the warm summer months to experience the healing benefits of “grounding” or “earthing” for yourself.
- Start by standing, sitting or lying on grass, sand, gravel or unpainted concrete. All of these surfaces will transmit the earth energies. (Wood, asphalt, rubber, plastic, glass, synthetic materials and metal block these energies from being transmitted to us.)
- Pay attention to how you feel before you start. You may want to journal where you are physically, emotionally and mentally and gauge your healing progress over time.
- Close your eyes and focus on releasing any pain or stress you may be feeling into the earth. If you are lying on the ground, open your eyes, soften your gaze and allow your imagination to play with the passing cloud formations.
- Spend at least a half hour on your chosen plot of ground and just allow yourself to be present with what is, stilling the mind.
- After 30 minutes or longer, come back to the present. Pay attention to how your body feels in contrast to where you started. Journaling may help you to focus on each of these three areas and compare the difference.
That's it, folks! So many good things from just walking barefoot sounds brilliant! I am so giving it a try, are you with me? :)